A number of Liverpool fans have been attacked by masked hooligans in Kiev, raising fears about fan safety in the Ukrainian capital ahead of Saturday’s Champions League final against Real Madrid.

Ukrainian police announced that two foreigners were injured “in a fight” in the city centre, where a group of Liverpool supporters were allegedly attacked in a restaurant named the Rooster Grill.

In a video published by The Mirror, police were seen attending the incident where individuals are seen to be throwing tables and chairs before fleeing the scene.

Police also said that two men were arrested following the incident, although a number were able to flee the scene without being detained.

With more than 24 hours to go until the Champions League final takes place, fears over the safety of Liverpool fans in the Ukrainian city have increased, with the attackers appearing to be looking for trouble as they arrived in bandanas, hoodies and balaclavas to help conceal their identity.

Jason Frost, 50, from Nuneaton, told The Mirror that he was attacked within hours of his arrival in Ukraine.

“We were having dinner, completely minding our own business,” he said. “I didn’t come here for this. I came to watch the football.

“We’ve been here for four hours and then we’re getting attacked. They came at us like a pack of dogs. It just kept coming. It was terrifying.”

The video shows one Liverpool fan with blood pouring from the back of his head as police helped tend to his wounds, although it was claimed in a statement that neither the victims or suspects were willing to give statements.

“In the course of the conflict, two foreigners suffered injuries,” a statement from Ukraine’s National Police said, adding that officers from the Holosiivskyi police department were deployed to the scene near the Olympic Stadium where Saturday’s final will be staged.

Merseyside Police have said that they are aware of the incident and have officers on the ground in Kiev to help with any fan trouble, with the violent scenes witnessed at the semi-final victory over Roma still fresh in the memory that left one Liverpool fan critically ill.

Sean Cox, 53, from Co Meath, Ireland, remains in hospital after suffering severe head injuries in an unprovoked attack by two Italian men, who were arrested by Merseyside Police and charged with violent disorder and inflicting grievous bodily harm. Mr Cox had to be placed in a medically induced coma after suffering a bleed on the brain, and continues to be treated at Walton Neurological Centre.

Follow the Independent Sport on Instagram here, for all of the best images, videos and stories from around the sporting world.